Thursday, 2 January 2014


This Christmas was the first one we ever had in our home.  We usually go to My Mom's or we head to the coast to be with Marty's Family.  This year, we stayed home and Marty's Dad and Trish (GG) joined us. 
As soon as Grampa and GGarrived on the 24th, Ryder put GG to work, making cookies for Santa! Turns out that was just the tip of the iceberg of the food that GG made during the holidays.  That woman loves to cook! She made some of everyone's favorites. Yummmy!
 Payton spent Christmas Eve just sitting around being cute in her festive, Christmas jumper!

 Before bed on Christmas Eve both kids got to open one gift. It was from Ernie (our Elf of a Shelf) he had left it before heading back to the North Pole.  Inside were Christmas jammies!
 Christmas hats and Christmas jammies.
 Ryder set out cookies and milk for Santa and carrots for the reindeer.

 I think Payton is actually eating a reindeer carrot in this pic!

Just before the wee ones got tucked in for bed, Grampa read "T'was the Night Before Christmas"to everyone.
 One last hug to GG's dog, Angel and off to bed to wait for Santa!

 Christmas morning!
 Actually, Christmas morning wasn't at all what we were expecting.  Turns out overnight, Ryder caught a flu bug of some kind. He woke up sick, but we were all so excited, we didn't really notice. I did notice he wasn't as excited as I thought he would be and then, in the middle of gift opening, he came over and sat on my lap. He didn't want to open anyore of his presents (what??) and he didn't want to help me with mine (what??) Finally, he just looks up at me with tears in his eyes and says, "Mom I want to go for a nap in my car bed." What??? He never has morning naps anymore and we were in the middle of opening gifts!!! He looked so small and soo sad. I picked him up and realized he was burning up with fever. His first one ever!  Ryder spent the day in his bed or on the couch, watching Christmas TV, complaining that he couldn't breath, he was so stuffed up. Poor lil guy.

His fever came and went. He did manage to get dressed for the big turkey dinner GG made. But he couldn't muster a smile...

 Payton was pretty sick too (no fever though) but she manged to gift us with a bunch of beautiful smiles all day!
 Here she is in her Christmas dress (thank you, GG)
It was a rough night with Ryder's fever creeping back up again and Payton coughing herself awake every half hour, but Marty made the morning better by making us all personalized pancakes. Here is a picture of mine.(He got a pancake writer for Christmas)
 Boxing Day (Dec.26th) was another rough,low key day with both Ryder and Payton being super needy. We did venture out to the Zoo lights at night. It seemed like a risky decision when we made it, but we really all needed to get out of the house and try to forget how miserable Ryder was with his stuffed nose (he no longer had a fever.) The adventure started our promising with all of us being drawn to into the magic of the lights, but magic can only last so long. Eventually Ryder wanted out of the stroller. He wanted to push the stroller. It was way to crowded there to let a toddler who can't even see over the handles push a stroller. "no, not tonight." I told him....the screaming and wailing that ensued was equal in decibels to a jack hammer! The rolling around in the snow in the crowd was a spectacle that drew people's attention away from the lights. The image of three adults, 2 of them over 6 feet tall wrangling an angry, irrational two year old into a stroller, I'm sure gave witnesses something to talk about hours after the spectacle. Once we had him in the stroller, Marty's Dad took the handles and pushed that thing at top speed through the crowds towards the gates. Marty and I walked behind, pretending we were NOT associated with that crazy kid!!

Payton slept through the whole spectacle her brother put on.  Ha ha! I have no doubts that one day they will compete with one another for title of the loudest Wright!

Because the kids were so sick, we decided to abandon Plan A, which had been to go to my Mom's for the weekend to celebrate Christmas with her.  Instead we decided to stay home with the hopes of heading to Mom's the first weekend in January feeling much healthier.  Jim and Trish were also staying through the weekend, and they even "held down the fort" a couple of times so that Marty and I could get out together with Scout. We have not hung out, just the three of us, since before Ryder was born, so it was a nice treat!

Our first dog walk "sans kids" in almost three years!
Scout says, "Thank you, Grampa and GG"

By New Years Eve the kids were feeling better so we bundled everyone up to meet some friends at a sledding hill for some outdoor fun! 
Once we'd had our fill of sledding, we headed back to our good friend's home for food, drink, a mini sleep over (Ryder and Payton slept there until 11:30pm) lots of laughter and games! We left their house at 11:30 but were home in time to ring in the new year at midnight. (Ah, how New Year's Eve has changed for us now that we are parents! LOL)

The Dads racing down the hill on the kids' sleds.

Kiss your babies, count your blessings and celebrate something as often as you can with people you love!

No comments:

Post a Comment